There are so many sites on the net debunking so many false claims about the Ketogenic diet, specifically “Nutritional Ketosis”, that I’m not even going to address them or even link them to this post. I have decided to instead post a “day in the life” of what Keto is like for me in my own personal experience and share it with you. I have taken pictures where applicable and measured everything to the best of my ability.
Yes, there are a lot of numbers involved but it is all simple arithmetic. Yes, I have even included some ingredients and instructions for some of the food you will see in this post. Yes, all carbohydrate measurements are net carbs that do not count fiber. No, I am not the second coming of Keto Christ. No, I will not be preaching or judging other diets and yes, there is a poll at the end of this post where I will ask you to answer a simple yes or no question.
… so let’s begin …
Wake Up: 5:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 23rd, 2017
– Weighed in at 193 lbs.
Breakfast: 9:00 a.m.
– Roughly 2 cups black coffee with 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and some liquid stevia drops
– Two slices of fried bacon
– 1 1/2 servings of cheddar cheese cut off of the block
– 1 Egg fried in bacon grease with 1 tbsp. of Pace picante sauce
– 2 small pinches of salt over the entire meal
– Roughly 1/8 cup of berry medley
Macro Nutrients: Perfect Keto!!!
– 21 g. Protein
– 6 g. Carbohydrates
– 39 g. Fat
– 453 Calories
Light Workout: 12:00 high noon @ YMCA
– Total weight lifted: 16,762 lbs.
– Recumbent Bike: 7 miles in 20 minutes
– Total calories burned: 405 (goodbye breakfast)
Lunch: 1:30 p.m. I need protein
– 1 broiled Tilapia fillet (always good)
– 1 cup Broccoli, with a half serving of shrimp, pan fried in the bacon grease yum yums left over from the earlier breakfast
– Three little cruncher pickles
– 2 small pinches of salt over the entire meal (starting to see a pattern here?)
Dessert: This one is my favorite by the way…
– Hershey’s special dark chocolate cashew milk shake sweetened with stevia, topped with Reddi Wip cream and pumpkin pie spice
To make a Keto Chocolate Shake get 1 1/2 cups of your favorite unsweetened silk milk and 1 tbsp. of Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate powder and vigorously mix them in a pot until it is almost boiling. Stir in a pinch of salt (trust me) and half a teaspoon of Sweet Leaf liquid drops. let it cool for 15 minutes. Pour it into a glass and refrigerate for about two hours.
Macro Nutrients: I got my protein
– 37 g Protein
– 6 g Carbohydrates
– 8 g Fat (I should have added some butter)
– 238 Calories
Afternoon Stroll: 4:30 p.m. 1 mile of mixed running, jogging, and walking to try and get my appetite strong for dinner. I’m not hungry but I know that dinner is going to be excellent
Dinner: 5:00 p.m. Keto Mongolian BBQ!!!
– 1 1/2 servings (6 oz) of top round steak
– The Mongolian BBQ mix is 1 cup spring mix, 1 cup broccoli, 1 tbsp red pepper sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
– Yes, you guessed it, 2 small pinches of salt over the entire meal
Dessert: Hell… Let’s do it better this time!
– 1/8 cup berry medley covered with Reddi Wip and pumpkin pie spice
Macro Nutrients: This meal was amazing!!!
– 50 g Protein (too much steak)
– 4 g Carbohydrates (amazing!)
– 23 g Fat
– 424 Calories
Macro Nutrient / My Daily Goals: Totals
– 103 g Protein / 86 g (it was the shrimp)
– 15 g Carbohydrates / 13 g (fantastic)
– 65 g Fat / 100 g (I need more fat!)
– 1,057 Calories / 1,200 (my ratio is off)
After Dinner Coffee: 6:30 p.m.
– Three large cups of coffee sweetened with stevia and 2 tbsp coconut oil
– Took a bubble bath with my rubber froggy: 0 Calories
Macros: I got that tasty fat
– 0 g Protein
– 0 g Carbohydrates
– 30 g Fat
– 270 Calories
My grand calorie count is 1,327 calories and I burned off 405 calories working out at the YMCA which gives me a net total of 922 calories for the day. The suggested caloric intake for a male my age and height is 2,200 Calories. They also want me to eat way less fat and a stupid amount more carbohydrates. I have set my ketogenic diet at a 40%, 1000 calorie, daily deficit to lose weight fast. That puts me at a 1,278 deficit against the modern accepted caloric nutritional suggestions.
Yes, the food was as tasty as it looked. No, I was never hungry that entire day. Yes, I had to force myself to finish each plate. Yes, I had high amounts of energy. Yes, I felt like I could run around the block all day if I wanted to. No, I was not high on crack cocaine. Yes, I woke up the next day and weighed in at 192 lbs. and yes, I lost one pound on that Keto day.
… the end …